30 years since the facts
became friction, I found myself
lost, more than most times before
sitting in my past, on a sofa
with Susie and Dave, they were friendly
Susie liked to ingest cocaine
in a combustible format and was known
by many, to favor the barter system
some called her a crack whore
I called her my friend
Dave called her things, but mostly Q
He was ex-military, a misnomer for sure
for he insisted a lot from Susie
PUT MY LIGHTER BACK
LEAVE MY PIPE ALONE
GET ME A BEER
and she did, and sat right next to him
and they would collapse in each other
after every hit, and hold on for the next
it was Louisiana hot that night
I felt a coolness on my skin, my guard dropped
and flooded my sensibilities,
we were talking and I let it all go,
it was dramatic,
to the point where they put down the pipe,
the AC kicked off
and as sweat congealed with sadness, Susie touched me
not that way...more profoundly...
"you miss your Dad, don't ya'?"
I took her and looked in her eyes
deeper than oceans, and replied,
"no, I don't miss him...I missed him"
that was the moment in my life
that saved me from sadness
the moment, when I knew what was wrong with me
all of the fractured windows and mirrors came back together
it was a moment never to be found, had I not made friends
with Susie and Dave, the crack whore and womanizer
rad062609
see more @
this was one of the first pieces i read by you..and think it was also the one i spotlighted you with at one stop.. it touched me madly when i read it first and again..great piece d.
ReplyDeletewow....powerful tale man...starts great with the fact/friction...and great capture of who they are giving us reason think why you are friends with them but that redeeming moment really comes alive...cool man...
ReplyDelete"the moment, when I knew what was wrong with me" that is the most powerful moment in life.
ReplyDeleteWow, you have set the scene beautifully, as you showed us all the lesson that you learned. One doesn't always choose one's teachers. Sometimes they turn out to be the ones most unexpected.
ReplyDeleteWhile I have read this outstanding piece before, upon re-read ( and now that I am aware of him) this could easily have been written by Mr Selby, Jr.
ReplyDeleteNot even sure if you are aware of your strengths in writing narrative.. this kicks *** (Selby would have left that word in:-)
thank to all...I'm a little slow today
ReplyDeleteI hope this conveyed the change I was aiming to reveal
Lynne- you are too kind, but you do know my words quite well..grazi
Peace
you made my day.
ReplyDeletesmiles.
As others have said, I remember this--it's not the kind of poem you can forget. Perfect for the prompt, and a pleasure to reread. The facts so often become friction.
ReplyDeleteYou never know when a teacher will visit or a how a lesson will be delivered. Good on you for not discounting due to the blatantly obvious...and here's to change, evolution, self realization and most of all love and acceptance.
ReplyDeletethank you Natasha...being open and available to unlikely sources is pivotal to change
ReplyDeletePeace
What a revelation! This is so intimate and touching. It goes to show ya there's good in all of us and an innate desire to help.
ReplyDeleteWow,RD, this is heavy, perceptive. As I read it I kept thinking, "Gotta note this image..." Then another and another until I could have mentioned most of the poem. Like the characterization as well.
ReplyDeleteGreat storytelling! You never know where your angels are hiding.
ReplyDeletethank you all so much...I often wonder how Susie and Dave are doing?
ReplyDeletePeace
Powerful. Strikes one as sincere. Finely written from a uniquely personal viewpoint. What more should we want from a poem?
ReplyDeletethank you Dave
ReplyDeletePeace
That is just, well I really do not know, apart from the fact it touched me deeply. As a poem it flows deeply and has a known to many story. If true I thank God on your behalf for Susie and Dave , life savers.
ReplyDeleteThank you Willow...true and yes, I thank them as well
ReplyDeletePeace
Never really know how others will affect our show and two who seem like the would not at all, catch you before you fall. There is some rhyme since you like it soo much at my place..hahaha
ReplyDeleteWonderful piece!
Thank you Pat for stopping by
ReplyDeleteI value your words and time
'tis with a smile in my eye
to read your heartfelt rhyme
Peace
dude I always rated this as one of your most touching.. and loving that you brought your blog back brudder
ReplyDeleteThanks Luke...I'm working on it
ReplyDeletePeace
There is value in every human connection, even the most unexpected. Thank you for sharing thi.s
ReplyDeletenothing is better than the moment when you realize your mistakes and discover a new found self to move on in life.
ReplyDeletefantastic poetry,
Happy Sunday.
thank you TCS...it was a moment
ReplyDeletePeace
my angel-messengers never have wings or halos either. This is some fantastic writing! Can't wait to see more.
ReplyDeleteI relate strongly to this absolutely remarkable, nearly perfect poem. My first time here...will not be my last.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the meaningful experience of reading this poem.